Saturday, January 23, 2010

WHAT WOULD I DO IF I WERE FEARLESS

In her blog post January 22 http://amispencer.com/blog/ Ami Spencer, a freelance writer posed an intriguing question: What would you do if you were fearless? She also asked her readers to imagine what fearlessness might produce in their lives. Spencer also suggested the reader, in this case me, write about what my fearless dreams look like.
MY FEARLESS DREAM – Two years ago I started working on a book about blacks who served during World War II. In the last four months I’ve found it hard to get motivated to finish my research and to interview the few remaining veterans I want to highlight in this book.
I find excuses not to write. Each day I spend hours checking my email, surfing the net, then I have to walk the dog, load and unload the dishwasher, do the laundry, fold clothes, watch my favorite soap operas and clean my house. Nowhere in that schedule does there seem to be any time to write. If I were fearless I would carve out time within my 24-hour day to write – I’m writing right now. If I were fearless I would focus on what I need to do to finish the book proposal and finish the book. If I were fearless I would stop making excuses and follow my dream to write, write, and write.
The irony is that the people I am writing about were sometimes fearless and at other times immobilized by their fears – still they did what they had to do. The least I can do for them is to tell their story. MORE TO COME.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Sharon - Thanks for stopping by Write Out Loud and for responding to my prompt. This is an honest post and I think it demonstrates the real effects fear can have on our actions. Fear often manifests itself as procrastination and immobility, which certainly hinder our ability to reach our goals and realize our dreams.

    Hope you'll continue to respond to my Creativity Corner prompts and will stop by and comment now and then. Great stuff here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're close to the finish line. Keep going...you'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Giving voice to those either without or unrecognized voice begins with honesty. So consider yourself on the first step, no longer the landing, and keep climbing the stairway to your dream and their voice. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete